Thursday, November 25, 2010

Departure Day

Today I am leaving for Africa. I'm bringing with me about 50lbs of medical supplies and leaving behind a ton of familiarity. I guess I have the same feelings that anyone would have when they are about to begin a new adventure, but mostly I am excited and eager to get there. I'm leaving five days after one of my best friends just got engaged, knowing that I will most likely miss the wedding. I'm also leaving on the exact day my nephew turns five months old, knowing that I will definitely miss a lot of his firsts. I can't dwell on all the life events of my friends and family that I will be absent from this year, because it's depressing. What I can do is look forward to sharing all these experiences when I return. Who knows what Sudan has in store for me, but I know I will definitely have my own stories to share.  We'll all just have to become better storytellers.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck Laura!! I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures -- I bet there will be several! Hope you have everything you need and find supplies readily in the future! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear more! Thanks for Paxton's book - it is amazing!!
    Love you! Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are doing well! Miss you and thanks for the great book for Pax! Love you! Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay laura!! safe travels...looking forward to reading about all the great things you will be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey, Peggy and I just read your, what we refer to as "Laura's Big African Adventure" blog. Needless to say, that we are very proud of your commitment to help others would be an understatement. We all wish you well and look forward to sharing you adventures and accomplishments. We really miss you!

    ReplyDelete