Saturday, June 25, 2011

Whirlwind

If you haven't picked up a newspaper or clicked on an online article about Sudan by this point, I highly suggest you expand your knowledge of what is going on there. The last few weeks for me have been an absolute whirlwind of emotion and activity; I am still trying to wrap my head around what I have seen and experienced.  Looking back, it seems that these changes happened gradually, but the situation now is so absurd that it's like a runaway train off its track. It all started with Bashir's threats of taking back the border states and then he started to "make good" on his statements. The fighting broke out in Kadugli and various other villages in that area. The fighting eventually spread to areas closer to where I was in Gidel. About a week before I was evacuated we started to hear the sounds of Antonovs and MIGs flying above us. At the time I didn't even know what an Antonov was, but I was taught to just lie down if I heard them come closer.  Apparently, they are very inaccurate when it comes to bombing and used mostly as a scare tactic. It became a daily occurrence to hear bombing and gunfire in the distance. When wounded soldiers and civilians from various areas began trickling into the hospital it started to feel a lot more real.  I over heard one soldier saying to another that these injuries were caused by "freedom bullets;" the people of Nuba Mountains will do anything to solidify their freedom from the North, including sacrificing their own lives. Many articles refer to people in South Kordofan as "rebels" which is completely inaccurate. These people never had an opportunity to vote like the individuals in South Sudan; they never got the popular consultation they were guaranteed.

The number of patients treated over the last 2 weeks is well over 100 now. We just learned that one of our employee's neighbors was killed by a bomb and she was 9 months pregnant. The stories I continue to receive from the field are horrific and having seen some of the wounded first handedly will forever stay in my mind.  I did not want to leave the field, but evacuation became inevitable and at the same time extremely problematic.

When some of our builders and the remaining teachers were waiting on the airstrip to leave, Antonovs and MIGs showed up and began bombing them. The plane was unable to land and evacuate them and they hid under trees as bombs were landing 5 meters away from them. After the bombing of the airstrip, no planes wanted to land. Two days later all of the ex-pat staff was packed and ready to be evacuated after a pilot actually agreed to land on the same airstrip. None of the staff knew we were leaving because we were afraid  of a security breach leading to a repeat airstrip bombing. We got up at 5am hoping to be on the plane before the Antonovs showed up for their morning scare. We traveled in two trucks, whose white paint was smeared with mud to be more discrete. Once we were close to the airstrip, we hid under trees awaiting the arrival of the plane. The first sounds of a plane brought about slight panic- was it an Antonov or our plane? Did somehow the North get information that another evacuation plane was coming? When it was confirmed to be our plane we sped as fast as possible to the airstrip.  We ran with our bags to the plane while SPLA soldiers looked over us with their guns. Once we made it to the plane our bags were thrown on while the propellers were still moving. The real moment of truth was waiting for the pilot to take off while we were all strapped in. If a plane came then we would have no place in which to run. I glanced at my watch as we began to take off; it was 8:20AM.  The national staff was by then all at the hospital ready to work, discovering for the first time that all of the ex-pats had left.  

Dr. Tom is currently alone with only a handful of qualified help. When surgical cases come in he is now both the anesthetist and the surgeon. So now I am in Nairobi trying to find a mission hospital willing to train me as an anesthetist so I can return to the field to help him.  At the same time, we are helping to organize emergency aid for the hospital.

The last few weeks have been nothing that I could have ever imagined experiencing and I obviously have very mixed emotions about leaving.  At least being out of the field I have saved my family and close friends a lot of money from paxil co-payments.

Please keep the people of Nuba Mountains in your thoughts. They are the strongest people that I have ever met and do not deserve any of the atrocities which they are currently forced to face. I hope for peace and stability so that I am able to go back and continue with the work I set off to do.

5 comments:

  1. I'm saddened by the situation but equally relieved that your okay. I you have shown yourself to be extremely courageous,compassionate and honorable. I hope you can return and help the people Nuba Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Laura,

    Okay, I have wiped the tears from eyes, but they just keep streaming. I am heartbroken over the atrocities that we do to one another. It is truly impossible to understand how these kinds of destructive recurrences in history keep happening. I personally in my own family history,know about the inhumanities of people, and lost most of my parents generation of family in an utrocious time of history. I truly admire your commitment to this community you have joined. But your commitment was to a place that was NOT in a warring situation. You were helping people who had medical needs and how you adjusted to the life style of the Nuba Mountain region was remarkable. But, I am sorry, but....I am a mother, and I have to tell you, there are other ways you can help this situation without being in the middle of the bombing. I do not want to upset you more than you probably are, considering the emotional roller coaster you are on, but if it can be arranged, I do wish you would come home. Forgive my weakness of character, but there are all kinds of humanitarians, who work hard for all kinds of worthy causes, and you can continue your "training" and altruistic mission, in a less hazardous environnment. You cannot continue to help if you yourself get killed. You come from a country that has helped many nations in their time of need, and if you return here, you can surely raise awareness of what is happening, and pursue avenues to help this warring nation. I hope you can forgive my candor, but i have never been able to hide what is in my heart. And my selfishness, is exposed with regret. Most compassionately with admiration and love, shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an experience you have had so far. Definitely not an experience that anyone plans on having, but I hope you are able to safely continue on with your mission work and that peace can be found among the people there. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Laura!

    When I heard the news of independence I immediately thought of you and asked Regina to remind me of ur blog address. She (Regina) was of course freaked out by reading your latest post. I too was freaked out but also filled with admiration for your courage and dedication to your work. I cannot even begin to imagine. Here all is well, BI is not quite a war zone but occasionally bombs do drop. The latest one will drop on August 1 when we will finally be changing chief PA's, as I am sure you know who I mean. Will that induce you to come back?

    You are in our thoughts and prayers and nothing would be better than to see you safe and sound.
    Dr. Maniker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    I should have read this a long time ago. You're an inspiration to me!!!

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete