Thursday, July 14, 2011

Nairobian

I have been in Nairobi now for almost a month, trying to settle into a new routine. We have been still working to provide support to the hospital in Nuba in our absence via organizing the procurement of medical supplies, medications, and staples. It's been challenging since there are not many airplanes willing to travel into a war zone. All of the updates I have received have assured me that all of the hospital staff are safe at this point in time. Please continue to do what you do: pray, meditate, or chant for all of them.

I have begun to train as an anesthetist at a hospital here in Nairobi.  So far it has been going really well and I've been learning a lot. I successfully intubated a patient the other day and have been doing a lot of spinals. I hope I will be able to translate these new skills back in Sudan, but I'm not sure I will be able to return.

Learning the city of Nairobi has been interesting to say the least. I have gotten lost in town several times as I have been attempting to learn the matatu system. The matatu rides are an adventure in their own right...crammed seats and loud reggae blarring, all complimented by bumps on your head from hitting the ceiling along a fast and bumpy ride. It reminds me of traveling in Guatemala. I've been learning Swahili, which has been much easier than learning the local Arabic dialect in Sudan. I forget how much of a visual learning I am and having an actual book has been invaluable.

Overall everything is going well. I still have guilty thoughts of abandoning the people of Nuba and Dr. Tom, but I have come to realize that it was the best decision given the circumstances. I am doing my best to support the hospital remotely and to rise up to all the new challenges presented to me.

Diani Beach, Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment